3.07.2010

My Statement for AIR 2010 Exhibition

The artwork presented for this exhibition is a sampling of my explorations in clay over the past few months.  The questions, "What happens if . . .?" was a dominant aspect in the creation of the work.  It factored into almost all formal decisions, including whether the pieces were for the wall or pedestal, size, color combinations, use of materials and techniques to create the designs/patterns, and the forms themselves.  Through this the work became a study of form, composition, color, materials, and technique.

To keep from limiting myself in the discovery process, I used a variety of construction and surface decoration methods.  I borrowed techniques from industry in the creation of form through the use of molds and templates, and from printmaking for ideas about applying surface.

While the formal elements of the works were carefully considered, I allowed the conceptual aspects to evolve in a more intuitive manner.  The imagery became reflections of my moods and inner thoughts about relationships, transitions, and memories.

No comments: