7.31.2009

Process: Finished work

Finally, the finished work. I tried a variety of surface masking techniques such as wax resist and tape. I am fairly happy with the results except for the slip dots popping off (you can see it on the base for the sugar/creamer set). I first noticed it when I took the work out of the kiln. Then when I unloaded the work for the photo shoot, my container was littered with them. Now days later, they are still jumping off the forms. I don't know what is causing it. I haven't changed anything except the glaze application process. I sprayed the glaze instead of my normal dunking or brushing methods. There was no indication after bisque of the dots wanting to pop off. I'm wondering if my slip was a little too watery when I applied it. I'm going to try it with a little thicker slip, on a little wetter form next time. I might also try drying the work slower. Examples of the tape resist are the matte lines in the salt and peppers. I used several widths of tape designed for painting automobiles. It was fun experimenting with it. I love the crisp edges it left. I used the wax resist to cover broad areas, and as in the blue tumbler to make dots. All in all, I'm happy with the forms and color combinations. The search continues for better surface designs.

No comments: