9.27.2009

Bowl-A-Thon!

Yesterday, Saturday, September 26th, the ceramics department held Bowl-a-thon.  Students, potters, and folks from the community who could throw a bowl, wedge clay, or just wanted to help were welcome to participate.  All the bowls made are going to be fired and donated to Cookin' on the Square in Cookeville, TN.  This event benefits Habitat for Humanity and is held the last Friday of October (the 30th this year).   I've already got the first load in the kilns to be bisque-fired.  
After making bowls all morning long, the masses were hungry.  The doughnuts gave us enough of a sugar buzz to work until lunch, but this pizza and Snapple didn't last long. 

Once lunch was finished, it was time to get back on the wheel.  Here I am throwing.  Not my usual method of making with clay as evidenced by the mound of scrap.  I'm usually a hand-builder, but the opportunity to throw was too tempting to resist.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure how many bowls were made, but all the carts in the kiln room were full. I won't do an official count until they are being packed  for delivery. 

No comments: